Essential oils in aromatherapy have been known to not only sooth the mind but to also hold beneficial properties to various skin and health conditions. Let us walk you through the many essential oils we have and their beneficial properties pertaining to both skin and health.
Ylang Ylang Essential Oil
Ylang Ylang is a yellow flower that is shaped like a star and which grows on a Cananga tree. Native to tropical islands that surround the Indian sea, its scent is somewhat bright and fruity. Aromatherapy enthusiasts love using this essential oil as a mood uplifter. Though you would normally see this essential oil being used in a cologne or perfume for example the Chanel number five perfume, it is also widely used amongst aromatherapy lovers.
For anxiety and uplifting
- The inhalation of Ylang Ylang essential oil is said to have an uplifting effect on the body. A study showed that after inhaling Ylang Ylang essential oil, participants reported feeling more uplifted and energetic.
- The component in this oil that helps uplift your mood is also said to aid with anxiety to help shift your anxiety-stricken state of mind to one that is happier and calm.
- There are components in Ylang Ylang essential oil that have said to have be calming to the mind and body. People reported feeling somewhat mildly sedated after inhaling this oil. Studies have also shown that participants who inhale this oil feel calmer and are less stressed. It is believed that this component in Ylang Ylang oil may be of use to people who suffer from sleep disorders like Insomnia.
- Ylang Ylang contains a component called Linalool which works as an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory compound. Studies have shown that applying Ylang Ylang oil to wounds and inflammation on the skin helps to sooth them tremendously.
- Due to its strong and bright scent combined with its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, Ylang Ylang is used in some parts of the world to treat Asthma. However, there have not been enough studies done to support this claim.
Frankincense Essential Oil
Frankincense is extracted from the Resin of the Boswellia tree. Found in the dry mountainous regions of India, Africa and the Middle East, Frankincense has an earthy, woody and yet spicy smell to it. Very masculine if you asked me. Frankincense has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for over hundreds of years, which we have now modernized in the 21st
century to be used as a form of aromatherapy. It’s benefits still remain the same though, hundreds of years later, in this age. They include treatments for Arthritis, digestion, asthma and also oral health.
- Frankincense has anti-inflammatory properties that could possibly help improve joint inflammation caused by Arthritis. Studies show that frankincense can help prevent or slow down the release of Leukotrienes which are compounds that lead to inflammation.
For Stress and anxiety
- Studies have been conducted on animals which show that Frankincense helps to calm their heart rates. Not enough studies have been done to prove that this has the effects on humans however, aromatherapy enthusiasts who use Frankincense oil claim that it has helped them with anxiety reduction.
For smooth skin
Frankincense oil is said to work as an effective anti-acne and anti-wrinkle remedy. However, there have not been many studies done in the likes of these claims so it still remained uncertain if these claims from aromatherapy users are true.
Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit oil is slightly orange or a dark yellow tinted colour with a sweet and strong scent. Its scent is quite citrus-y and sweet. Grapefruit essential oil has many healing benefits for health and for skin.
For weight loss
- Grapefruit essential oil has said to be able to promote weight loss. Studies have shown that the scent of grapefruit essential oil reduces appetites and promotes the breakdown of fatty tissue.
- Grapefruit oil is known to contain components that may aid in skin concerns such as acne and eczema. Studies have shown that grapefruit essential oil has anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that may be the reason as to why this oil is able to treat acne and eczema. You may have noticed the contents of facial products in your local drugstore to comprise of grapefruit essential oil especially if that product is said to help with acne. This further proves that grapefruit essential oil may be able to aid with skin inflammation such as acne and eczema.
- It is also said that grapefruit essential oil may have properties in it that could help reduce stress and lower the blood pressure of a human body. Some researchers also suggest that aromatherapy using grapefruit essential oil or many other oils may help control both blood pressure and stress levels. Recent studies have shown that participants who inhaled grapefruit essential oil later show or report that they feel much lighter and they feel more uplifted.
Essential Oil GrapefruitEssential Oil FrankincenseEssential Oil Ylang Ylang