While it is easy to care for our bodies with regular showers using soap and water, it's not the same with facial skin. That is why we have skincare products ranging from cleansing, toning, detoxifying and exfoliating properties. On top of the basic skincare, there are also treatment options that help to fight acne, lessen pigmentation, diminish signs of ageing and even make your skin appear fairer.
You may be wondering why is there a need to have such a comprehensive skincare regime involving a handful of products when your body only needs one for cleansing. Truth be told, your facial skin is the most delicate part of our body, and there are numerous reasons why.
1. Facial skin is more often exposed to sunlight and is more susceptible to the ageing effects of UV radiation. Unlike the body where it is mostly protected under clothing, there is no proper protection for facial skin aside from sunscreen. Even so, as humans, sometimes we forget to apply sunscreen, and reapply in the day, so at the end of the day, there is little to no protection for facial skin.
2. Facial skin is more sensitive to hormonal changes in the body. Androgen, a hormone that fluctuates during puberty, menstruation, pregnancy, and menopause, is responsible for triggering a whole lot of skin problems such as acne. These skin problems occur more often in the facial skin because the face has the highest number of sebaceous glands per square inch.
3. Repeated muscle movements in the face contribute to premature ageing and the first signs of ageing will always appear under the eyes and around the eyelids, making it more prone to lines and wrinkles than most other areas of the body. Since we talk and make expressions on a daily basis, it would be hard not having to move your face just for the sake of preserving your beauty. But with the right skincare, you can rewind ageing on your facial skin.
4. Facial skin is thinner than most of the skin of your body. Because of this, it is easier for the skin to lose moisture quicker, especially when it's not protected under dry weather. Thinner skin would also mean that it is easier for bacteria to be introduced into the skin. That said, you need a facial cream that can act as a barrier to keep all the good nourishment stay within the skin and all the bad pollutants to stay away.
5. Facial skin is more sensitive and delicate than the rest of the skin on the body. The number of skin cells in the skin of the face is fewer than the rest of the body (except the skin of genitalia). That's why our facial skin gets easily damaged and sensitive compared to other parts of the body. It is important to wash the facial skin with a product that is gentle and adapted for facial skin. Never use a regular body wash on your face.